Our team at Lakeland Agricultural Research Association (LARA) is looking to fill the role of Research Agrologist to support our team. You will be responsible for designing and carrying out applied research across the Lakeland region of Alberta; focusing on new agricultural technology and production practices.
We’re looking for a self-starter who can manage their time effectively as this role requires drive and a sense of accountability. Although you will be joining a small team we provide support for producers across four municipalities and collaborate with other organizations and applied research associations across the province.
If you are an ambitious and forward thinking individual, wanting to make an impact in the agricultural world at ground level, consider applying.
- Working with the LARA team in the planning, development, preparation, implementation and reporting of research trials, demonstrations and projects in all areas of scope of LARA including Cropping, Forage and Livestock, and Environment;
- Applying for project funding;
- Manage the process of plot and project set up, equipment calibrations, monitoring, maintenance, site selection, sampling, and harvesting;
- Analysis and reporting of data collected from research trials and other projects;
- Help support and build relationships with producers, industry, companies, government and other associations;
- Maintenance and implementation of project manuals and material; and
- Increase awareness and public profile of LARA.
- Masters or Ph.D. in Agriculture, Environmental or a related field and at least 4 years of related experience;
- Strong knowledge of experimental design;
- Proficiency with technology and programs such as Microsoft office suite, ARM or similar programs;
- Demonstrative leadership with the ability to effectively lead teams and work within teams;
- Displays strong organizational ability, excellent verbal, written, presentation, facilitation, and interpersonal communications skills;
- Excellent problem solving, strong attention to detail and ability to take ownership/ accountability;
- Required to use equipment (tractor, mowers, truck/trailer, and other equipment); and
- Longer hours during field season
Hours & Compensation
- Permanent – Full time
- Salary: $60,000 to $90,000 annually
- Benefits included following probation period
- Please provide 2 or more professional references
- Drivers abstract will be required prior to hiring
How to Apply
Please send your resume to Kellie Nichiporik through [email protected] along with a cover letter explaining why you believe you are a good fit for this position.
We appreciate your interest, but please note that we will only be contacting successful applicants.
About the Company
Lakeland Agricultural Research Association (LARA) is a non-profit agricultural organization based out of Fort Kent, Alberta. Since 1991, LARA has served the needs of agricultural producers in the region by demonstrating new agricultural technology and production practices through extension activities, applied research, and knowledge sharing. The results obtained from research plots and demonstrations, along with current issues of agricultural significance, are shared with producers through a variety of platforms. We focus on continually looking at new and trending practices and technologies and how to integrate them at the ground level – with producers.
LARA’s region encompasses 1.9 million acres and about 2100 farms, and work is done in cooperation with four municipalities (Municipal District of Bonnyville, County of St. Paul, Lac La Biche County and Smoky Lake County), Alberta Agriculture and Irrigation, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, other federal and provincial organizations, and local industry.
LARA offers fully paid benefits, training opportunities and professional development. This job offers a mix of field and office work as well as flexible schedules.